Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List
The Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List, also known as the SDN List, is a United States government sanctions/embargo measure targeting U.S.-designated terrorists, officials and beneficiaries of certain authoritarian regimes, and international criminals (e.g., drug traffickers). The list is managed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control.
The SDN list contains tens of thousands of companies, organizations, and individuals who have been identified as posing a threat to U.S. national security and foreign and economic policy. All persons and businesses within the U.S. are prohibited from doing business with blacklisted individuals or are subject to sanctions for violating the law. Financial sanctions include a ban on investment in the stock of the blacklisted individuals and companies in which the blacklisted individuals have a controlling interest, and a ban on new debt (including all securities such as bonds, credits, bills of exchange, etc.) with a maturity of more than 90 days. After the Crimean crisis, the US blacklisted a number of Russian and Crimean companies for sanctions. Almost every country is represented on the list, but China has 250 persons listed.
Notable sanctioned persons
- Carrie Lam
- Wan Kuok-koi - The former leader of the Macau gang 14K
- Chris Tang
- Fatou Bensouda – Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court. Sanctions were imposed under the Trump administration and removed in April 2021 under the Biden administration.
- Chen Quanguo - Chinese Communist Party 19th Politburo member
- Wang Chen - Chinese Communist Party 19th Politburo member
- Zhang Xiaoming
- Slobodan Milošević
- Bi Sidi Souleymane
- You Quan - Head of CCP's United Front Work Department
- Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List，US Treasury, 2020/8/7, 1421 pages
- "Basel: Keine PCs für Vereine – wegen US-Blacklist". 20 Minuten. Nov 23, 2017. Retrieved Sep 25, 2020.
- Areddy, James T. (5 April 2021). "China Creates its Own Digital Currency, a First for Major Economy ". Wall Street Journal website Retrieved 5 April 2021.
- "制裁崩牙駒｜美宣佈制裁澳門江湖猛人尹國駒 藉一帶一路擴張東南亞犯罪活動". 蘋果日報. 2020-12-11.
- "US lifts Trump-era sanctions against ICC prosecutor". BBC News. April 3, 2021.
- "Biden Plans to Repeal Trump-Era Sanctions on ICC". Foreign Policy. March 21, 2021. Retrieved April 7, 2021.